Life After Weight Loss Surgery

Welcome to my blog! I wanted a place I could share my experiences with living life after weight loss surgery. I had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) on April 16, 2010. The surgeon removed 85% of my stomach.



Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Finally updating..a little over 7 mths postop

Yes, I am finally updating this blog.  I will try to do better.  The whole reason I started this was to help others who are thinking about weight loss surgery, so they have some idea of what to expect afterwards.  I know I did alot of research before surgery, and soaked up alot of information. I still don't think I was really prepared for how much your life changes after surgery.  I used to be one that said having surgery was 'the easy way out', but now...I can only tell anyone that thinks that way that they have NO idea what they're talking about.  This has been the hardest thing I have ever done.  Much of this journey is mental.  I have such a wide range of emotions. 

To my family, all appears to be fine.  Unless you have had surgery, you can't possibly understand.  Food was my 'drug of choice'..and it's no longer there.  I very rarely feel hungry, in fact, most of the time I have to make myself eat because I know that I have to get in the protein and calories to stay healthy.  The surgery doesn't fix that emotional attachment to food though.   There are foods that I wish I could have, but I know that I physically cannot without getting ill.  I miss the silliest things.  I really wish I could just eat a tuna fish sandwich, but I just cannot eat the bread.  See..silly.

I am very happy that I made the choice to have surgery though.  I feel great.  But it is hard.  People start treating you differently, friends, family and even strangers.  I am still the same person.  I like to think it's only because I'm more outgoing now, and not because of weight that they are treating me differently.

I have found that I can eat a little more now at 7 mths postop than I could previously.  I used to only be able to eat 3/4 of a scrambled egg, now I can eat the whole thing.  I can eat bread if its toasted. Before I ate 1/2 piece, now I eat about 3/4.  So I still can't eat much, but the amount is a little more.  I still stick to the rules of not drinking before a meal, and waiting about an hour before drinking after a meal.  I physically feel ill if I try and drink water right after eating.

I am still having issues trying to swallow my pills.  I didn't take them for months because I got tired of puking them up after swallowing them.  They will get caught in my throat quite often (the calcium pills..they're huge), and I can't handle the amount of water at one time that it takes to get it to budge.  I've bought a pill splitter and that is helping.

Working on getting in enough calories each day.  I'm right around 600-700 cal per day and 60 grams of protein.  My nutritionist wants me at 1,200 calories per day.  I haven't lost a pound in almost 2 weeks now, and I was told its because I'm not getting in enough calories.  So, I've got a meal plan set up so today I should get about 1,050 calories. 

Breakfast
1 scrambled egg

Snack
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Lunch
boneless chicken (3oz)

Snack

3oz Cheese

Dinner
1 sm Salmon patty

Snack
Protein drink

So far I have lost 117 pounds.  I have went from 354# to 237# in 7 mths.  Was wearing a size 32 jean, now in a size 18.  I haven't been in a size 18 in at least 15 yrs, so i am very happy with my progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment